11 Comments Add yours

1. That is an interesting & sad piece of history. The fellow that told you about it sounds like he would be someone you could listen to for hours. Now I’m curious about the Dease lake graves.

1. Anna says:

Hours and hours and hours!

The Dease graves I was referring to are of two outside the Laketon cemetery. I did some research last year and found the story of one – a man hung after trial by Begbie. Also an interesting story.

1. brandon says:

MY GF IS SIMONS GREAT GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER

2. Anna says:

Very cool : )

3. courtney says:

My husband Billy Gunanoot is Simon’s great great grandson, so my childrens great great great grandfather is Simon Gunanoot,

4. Anna says:

That is so very cool! I love living in a place where history is so real. Thanks for sharing!

2. Rene says:

Excellent piece of writing, Miss Anna. I say… mull over that a bit more and change it into a early-read chapter book. It has great potential especially when presented in the context referred to in the Regional District of the Kitimat-Stikine website.

1. Anna says:

I never thought of writing early-read chapter books! I kind of like the idea. I agree with the comment about what the Regional District site was saying. One of the other sites linked this story to some other events affecting the times – such as the fear of another Louis Riel and the icon he that was and what he symbolized. Interesting stuff, indeed!

3. Charlie says:

The late Sam toss once told me about Simon scaring him he said he was in smokehouse getting fish he said it happen in the winter he was on his way out said he gears loud noise like someone running s nd climbed on top of roof said gad you be a big Nan climbed up with ease . Scared to over he said he looked in shadow he saw a night standing there . So he took z long breath and von tinted to walk knowing someone standing there he kept walking getting to the joys said he turned around he saw a big man standing on the roof .the man just nodded to him Sam continued in the house .the next day him and someone else went to see what was going on when they went in smokehouse said some gosh where gone but was replaced by a fun pelt this happened at kitimaat village b c

4. Melanie says:

I would love to read this story after you’ve taken a crash course on Gitk’san society. I cringed a little when I read all of the depth and richness of Gitk’san culture being summarised as “bush life.” Also, you mention his father, but Gitk’san are matrilineal, so who is mother was and what phratary they belonged to would be more natural information to include than who his father was. Also, which residential school he was forced to attend, and whether he was able to prevent any of his children from being forced to attend by going into hiding — that is something find very interesting, myself.

I understand that your intended audience in this piece is likely white, but acknowledging and including the perspective of the main character would really add some teeth here. I really enjoyed reading your story, and learned a lot from your great research. I hope you continue developing your talent and skill in writing! So many people have gone into hiding in the area and avoided RCMP in fairly recent times, like Kevin Vermett and (Neal?/Roger?) Sterritt.

1. Anna says:

Melanie – Thank you so much for your comments. You provide specific feedback that I rarely see, and I appreciate this immensely.

I think I shall take this post down temporarily and review it again shortly with a new perspective. I would also like to respond to your added comments in more detail -you offer some great ideas and show me the need for added research – but need a good nights sleep first to make sure I give it the attention it deserves.
      (Just coming off a rather intense school semester here, and I don’t think my brain cells can be trusted to produce anything coherent at this point 🙂 )

I did want to make sure I replied to your comment as soon as I could. Again – I really, really value this input! Thank you for taking the time to comment in such a well thought-out way.